Metal roofers near me Austin tx should also know what to offer clients as they can choose from a variety of roofing materials with varying lifespans.
Additionally, each roofing material has its own set of advantages and disadvantages that may influence the value of your home. Here, we look at some of the most typical roofing materials today.
The Pros and Cons Of The 3 Main Roofing Materials
1. Asphalt Shingle Roofs
- Roofs made of asphalt 3-tab shingles are among the most cost-effective options today.
- Installing asphalt shingles is a cost-effective option. If the roof deck is in excellent shape, it may be put directly over previous shingles.
- Class A fire resistance describes asphalt shingles, which can sustain a fire for two hours. If you live in a fire-prone area, talk to your contractor and even the metal roofers near me Austin tx, about alternative roofing choices since asphalt may not be the best option.
- You can get these shingles at almost any home improvement store.
- The lifespan of asphalt shingles is the shortest of all the roofing materials discussed here. The average lifespan of an asphalt shingle roof is 15 to 30 years; however, alternative roofing materials may last up to 50 years, says the metal roofers near me Austin tx.
- They may be damaged by heavy winds, heat, and storms.
- Asphalt shingles may be recycled, but this does not make them ecologically friendly. Greenhouse gas emissions are high due to the manufacturing of these tiles.
>>Related post: What to Look for and What to Do In A Roof Inspection
2. Wood Roofs
- Wooden roofs may endure up to 25 years, but asphalt roofs can only last around 10 years. The lifespan of a cedar-shingled roof varies depending on the temperature, the kind of wood used, and the thickness of the cut. You should say this to metal roofers near me Austin tx.
- The natural appearance of wood shingles appeals to many homebuyers.
- Although clay and slate roofs are heavier than cedar and pine shingles, they provide the same strength and moisture protection.
- Natural, biodegradable ingredients are used to make wood shingles suitable for the environment.
- Wooden shingles cost between $4.50 and $9.00 per square foot, making them more costly than alternative roofing materials, including asphalt shingles.
- Wooden shingles need to be fire retarded by metal roofers near me Austin tx regularly and may be prohibited in your town if there are safety issues. You should consult with your contractor for those of you who reside in a region prone to wildfires.
- Preservatives and fungicides must be applied regularly to prevent drying out, warping, cracking, and mildew growth on a wooden roof.
>>Related post: What Qualities Do You Need To Become a Roofer?
3. Metal Roofs
- Metal roofing refers to various materials, including steel, aluminum, and copper.
- Architects and meatal roofers near me Austin tx may choose from more than a hundred different hues and styles when using metal as a building material. Durability may also be improved by metallic coatings and factory-applied paint.
- It is well known that metal roofs may survive up to 60 years.
- Roofing made of metal can withstand fire. The fire resistance of metal roofing may also cut your insurance premiums, particularly in Texas and California, which are prone to wildfires.
- The resale value of a house will also rise if it has a metal roof.
- Selecting a metal roof for your home is a huge financial decision. A metal roof may cost anywhere from $21,000 to $50,000 to install, with materials costing between $7.00 and $9.00 per square foot.
- Finding certified and competent metal roofers near me Austin tx specializing in metal roofing will challenge many property owners.